Pages

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

My first completed quilt!

I did it! I did it!  I completed my first quilt, alone. I had done a small sampler several years ago in a class, but hadn't done any sewing or quilting for about six years after that.  This baby quilt came about after I brought home a couple boxes of fabrics and notions from my Mother-in-Law.  When I opened up the teddy bear fabric, I saw that it was really just scraps left from a pair of pajama bottoms.  So, I went to my quilting magazines and looked for a pattern that would accomodate the amount of fabric I had. It was close, but I was able to cut the bear squares from what I had left.  Then I went and pulled the rest of the fabrics.  I did purchase the striped fabric because I wanted stripes for the binding. I used flannel on the backing.

That border design was tough! I was trying to do it with my walking foot so, the loops are far from perfect. I followed and combined a couple binding tutorials I found online and am happy with how it turned out. However, I don't understand on the binding-how far do you turn it over on the back?  Is it supposed to be snug to the edge of the quilt sandwich once folded?  The binding is thicker on the back than on the front.

Now I am trying to tackle the larger quilt for my newest niece. However, I am using the serpentine stitch and it is not coming out in even curves like it did on all of my practice sandwiches! Grr!

Here is my first independently completed quilt. (I haven't washed it yet, so some of the blue chalk from the marking is still on the border.)


1 comment:

  1. Good for you!! It is such a cute quilt. It feels so good to say, "Look, I made that!!"

    ReplyDelete